We’re expanding the team at Vantage!
Help create the next generation of Snap, our flying camera, for some high profile customers.
We’re looking for an experienced engineer to help with the system firmware and electronics on both the drone and base station. Your work will be used by thousands of people. It has the potential to save lives and impact national security.
Projects you could work on
- Develop obstacle avoidance and indoor navigation capabilities for Snap by integrating ToF sensors and implementing visual SLAM algorithms
- Improve flight time by integrating next-gen battery cells into our Smart Battery
- Massively improve range and connection robustness by integrating a government band radio
- Increase Snap’s operating temperature range with innovative heating and cooling solutions
- Create a more portable version of our base station by shrinking and integrating the electronics
- Develop robust precision landing capabilities for integration with a major automaker’s police cars
- Give Snap multispectral imaging powers for tree inspections for facilities management customers
- Select motors and tune motor and flight controllers for new rotor sets to enable record-breaking flight capabilities
- Modify flight controller and camera to enable new interaction techniques
- Integrate RTK/PPK GPS and integrate with photogrammetry tools to help Snap create centimeter accurate 3D models
- Propose a new way to improve our product for our customers in commercial inspections, law enforcement, and defense — and then go make it
What We’re Looking For
You should be capable of solving extremely challenging problems at least twice as fast as your peers. We are mildly interested in your education, experience, and previous employers. We are exceptionally interested in your portfolio of projects demonstrating initiative and passion for topics areas relevant to Vantage. These projects should show your ability to push technical limits to achieve extraordinary results with limited time and budget. We will also be interested in your ability to contribute to a culture of passion for excellence, taking bold risks, accepting failure, and improvising as needed until the project is wildly successful. Please make sure to include anything you believe is relevant to this in your initial contact.
We pay under market rates for salary, but make up for it with generous equity, a satisfying and fast-paced work environment, talented co-workers, and a product you will be proud to be involved with.
Vantage creates drones for consumer, commercial, and government customers including CNN, Stanford University, the US Army, and a big three automaker. Our first product, Snap, was the first drone to enable safe and legal commercial flight over people and has received more waivers from the FAA for this than any drone in existence. The company won Richard Branson’s Extreme Tech Challenge and has been recognized by TechCrunch, Wired, Quartz, and USA Today, amongst many others. We are one of six companies selected for the Short Range Reconnaissance Program, a $200M project to create the next generation portable drone for the Army. The company has strong backing from industry luminaries, respected VCs, strategic commercial partners, and the DoD. We are a team of Stanford engineers, Darpa Grand Challenge winners, IDEO and Volkswagen alums, roboticists, mechanical engineers, and experienced software folks. We’re also ardent kite surfers, mountain bikers, rock climbers, surfers, rugby players, and pilots. We work to achieve ambitious goals, but also work to achieve rich lives.
Sound like you? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please make sure to include the relevant information requested in the post in your first contact.